Pages

Friday, September 4, 2015

My Family

This week we focused on our families! Throughout the week the children developed an understanding of various family patterns.  They also discovered what family members do for each other.

Books we read.....

Fingerplays

My Family
If you peek in my room at night (stand on toes as if peeking)
My family you will see (nod head)
They kiss my face and tuck me in tight (kiss into the air)
Why? Because the love ME! ( hug yourself)

This Is The Mother
This is the mother, kind and deear. (make a fist then point to the thumb)
This is the father sitting near (show each finger in turn)
this is the brother strong and tall
This is the sister, who plays with her ball
This is the baby, the littlest of all.
Se my whole family large and small? (wiggle all fingers)

I Love My Family
Some families are large (spread arms out wide)
Some familes are small. (bring arms close together)
But I live my family (cross arms over chest)
Best of All!

Art 
Family Trees
I had each child use thier hand print to make their tree.  Each apple represents who is in their family!


Family Portrait
Each child drew their OWN family portrait!


Science
Feely box
Place objects pertaining to a family into a box.  Include items such as a baby rattle, a toothbrush, a comb, baby bottle, etc.
The children feel the objects and try to identify them.

Housekeeping/Dramatic Play
Family Picnic
collect items to make a picnic basket. Include paper napkins, cups, plates, eating utensils, etc.

Baby Clothing
arrange the dramatic play area for washing baby dolls.  Include a tub with soapy water, washclothes, drying clothes, brushes, and combs.

Blocks
Bulid a community of houses and use different people to represnt the different families in your classroom.

Math
Families- BIGGEST to smallest
Cut out from magazines several members of a family.  the children can place the members from largest to smallest, and then smallest to largest.  They can also identify each family member as the biggest and the smallest.



Family Member Glyph
Each child got a house.  We made different color sqaures for each type of family members. If they only put the sqaures in their house that represented their family. For example: if they had a brother they put a red square in their house or two!


Social Studies
I had each student bring in a family picture(s) to share with the class.  We talked about who was in their family and counted how many were in their family.  I then posted them around the room so they could share them all week. The students really enjoy showing off thier family and see them around the room!


Next week Wheels on the Bus Preschool Learning will adventure through Nursery Rhymes!




No comments:

Post a Comment